Today we held another blood drive in honor of Mia at Desert Palms Church. This is the third drive we've held, and it was by far the best. Mia was there to say thank you to everyone who took the time to donate, or to just stop by for support. To date, Mia has had 64 life sustaining blood transfusions.

Terri was the first one to show up! I love this girl, she is always so supportive of our family, and anything to help out with Mia.

Mrs. Baxter! This was Ashley's 2nd grade teacher...and now look at Ashley below. I can't even remember her being Mia's age, that's so weird! She had never donated before and thought, why not, so she stopped on by.

Terri getting ready to donate 'power red.' Basically they get 2 units instead of one, and put the platelets and white cells back into you. Awesome, because this is what Mia gets when she's in the hospital.

Look who else stopped by! Miss Ava from school. It is so nice to have the support of your friends, at any age.

My friend Remy stopped by too...just showing up even if you can't doante means a lot. Aww, so sweet. Mia and I love them so much. They also brought lots of toys for the Cardon Children's Toy Closet.

Fellow bootcampers...oh yeah!

Technical difficulties...Terri (who is also a fellow bootcamper & blogger ) had problems with the power red machine. So it turned out that they couldn't use her blood afterall. I'm sure she will try again in January when she can donate again. Terri, what a bummer and I'm SO sorry that happened.

Speaking of blogging, I am SO happy there is someone other than me who is always taking pictures. I am very sure you will be able to see more pictures on Kim's blog! I ran into Kim at school (Mia's substitute teacher) and told her about the blood drive. She signed her and her husband up.

Thanks Kim & Jeff for taking the time to donate, it really means a lot to us! And I can't wait to see your blog!!


Way to go Ginger...I'm so glad the machine worked for you. Terri will not be using whatever that machine's ID number is next time. (lol)

Giner's room mate Erika was a first time donor...whoo-hoo!! Erika, you did great...thanks so much for coming out to donate :)

Karen Graham came again, her family donated at the last blood drive. Her son Troy wasn't in town for this blood drive but he went and donated before Thanksgiving. Awww, so sweet.

Mikele & Heather came out to donate after I sent out an e-mail looking for more recruits. Thanks ladies...and Mikele is going to make sure Heather eats some flinstones vitamins because her iron was off by 1 point to donate. Argg. Next time Heather ~ but thanks for coming out anyways. (Mikele is another fellow blogger - which I've seen Heather on it many a times :)

Karen & the kids also came by. She hadn't donated in forever so they had to look her up by her madien name. Ha! ha! Thanks Karen...so awesome of you to be there for us.


Mia took a picture of my A+ blood.

Dads turn...


Layla's Aunt came to donate blood. Oh this was so sweet. You can read more about Layla here.
Terri was the first one to show up! I love this girl, she is always so supportive of our family, and anything to help out with Mia.
Mrs. Baxter! This was Ashley's 2nd grade teacher...and now look at Ashley below. I can't even remember her being Mia's age, that's so weird! She had never donated before and thought, why not, so she stopped on by.
Terri getting ready to donate 'power red.' Basically they get 2 units instead of one, and put the platelets and white cells back into you. Awesome, because this is what Mia gets when she's in the hospital.
Even Auntie Kirsten came by! Matt had just picked her up from the airport so they swung by to say hello. She was here for the Hopewalk back in September.
Look who else stopped by! Miss Ava from school. It is so nice to have the support of your friends, at any age.
My friend Remy stopped by too...just showing up even if you can't doante means a lot. Aww, so sweet. Mia and I love them so much. They also brought lots of toys for the Cardon Children's Toy Closet.
Fellow bootcampers...oh yeah!
Technical difficulties...Terri (who is also a fellow bootcamper & blogger ) had problems with the power red machine. So it turned out that they couldn't use her blood afterall. I'm sure she will try again in January when she can donate again. Terri, what a bummer and I'm SO sorry that happened.
Speaking of blogging, I am SO happy there is someone other than me who is always taking pictures. I am very sure you will be able to see more pictures on Kim's blog! I ran into Kim at school (Mia's substitute teacher) and told her about the blood drive. She signed her and her husband up.
Thanks Kim & Jeff for taking the time to donate, it really means a lot to us! And I can't wait to see your blog!!
Way to go Ginger...I'm so glad the machine worked for you. Terri will not be using whatever that machine's ID number is next time. (lol)
Giner's room mate Erika was a first time donor...whoo-hoo!! Erika, you did great...thanks so much for coming out to donate :)
Karen Graham came again, her family donated at the last blood drive. Her son Troy wasn't in town for this blood drive but he went and donated before Thanksgiving. Awww, so sweet.
Mikele & Heather came out to donate after I sent out an e-mail looking for more recruits. Thanks ladies...and Mikele is going to make sure Heather eats some flinstones vitamins because her iron was off by 1 point to donate. Argg. Next time Heather ~ but thanks for coming out anyways. (Mikele is another fellow blogger - which I've seen Heather on it many a times :)
Karen & the kids also came by. She hadn't donated in forever so they had to look her up by her madien name. Ha! ha! Thanks Karen...so awesome of you to be there for us.
Mia took a picture of my A+ blood.
Dads turn...
Layla's Aunt came to donate blood. Oh this was so sweet. You can read more about Layla here.
Another friend stopped by...McKinley.
The last person that came through was Mary Lisa, my mom's neighbor. Thanks ML! We had a great turn out, about 40 units were collected. A huge thank you to my mom who stayed with me the whole time!! Also, another HUGE thank you to all the UBS staff. This team was truly great, and helped us with anything we needed. Thanks to ALL who took the time to donate blood. It's a gift where you don't get anything in return.
I didn't get a picture of Lauren at the blood drive - but she came over to pick up McKinley so I had to get a picture, even in my pink sweats. She had the busiest/craziest day and yet she still donated. Sigh...thanks Lauren.
We collected so many toys for the toy closet...Mia will be bringing them there soon for other kids who are in the hospital. Thanks everyone!
2 comments:
Awesome. What a great turnout.
I'll be honest, it's hard for me NOT to cry. Mia you are a trooper and you have some amazing friends and FAMILY of course! BTW, please tell Mia I LOVE her leggings, too cute.
I seriously need to donate soon. There is a truck at our church often. I will put this on my goals list.
Love you all!
Post a Comment