2nd Annual 5K Hopewalk



Most of you probably know...that Mia is a Hopekid. She has Diamond Blackfan Anemia, a life threatening illness which qualifies her as being a Hopekid. We have been trying to raise money for Hopekids since July of this year for the 2nd annual 5K Hopewalk. I am truly blown away by the response that we recieved, and just how generous people are, even in a tough economy. After 2 months of fundraising for Team Mia Minie Moe...I am so happy to say, we won!

We were greeted by some friends...







A group of Mia's nurses from Cardon Children's Hospital came to support Hopekids...oh how we LOVE them. Thank you Miss Elizabeth, Jill, Christine, Tracy, & Mr. Bob for coming out on this special day for us!




Ethan & Mia...how cute are they?! Ethan seriously, you are too cute.




Rob & Mia...Mr. Rob is the founder of Hopekids and he's great! I can't think of a more better suited person as he to be in the position he's in. Ok Bridget is awesome too, but we didn't get a picture of her!




I love these girls...T-Smith & Ginger from bootcamp!




The McPoland girls with Coach P. from Fulton Elementary...we love her too. She flew in from Pennsylvania so she wouldn't miss the Hopewalk. She rocks, for real!

FULTON ELEMENTARY



It was great to see lots of the Fulton crew...






How CUTE is this?? The Knutson family & the Speas made shirts to represent Team Mia Minie Moe. LOVE them.











Maits, Clay, Sam, Crew (lol), McCall, Catie, & Kinlers...you guys are the BEST for doing that, and I love you all. How thoughtful of you to do that...way to represent!



We LOVE this family...each and every one of them are dear to our hearts and...


...it helps to always have the support of your BFF. We love you Kinlers!!! Thanks for walking with Mia. She loves you SO much.


If you know me, then you probaby know that I love my bootcamp. I must give a shout out to my bootcamp peeps, because all the ladies there stepped it up to donate for Team Mia Minie Moe. Thanks to all the ladies that donated!!


Waiting to hear who won for fundraising...







I was so happy to see the Telles family...Karin's son Noah couldn't walk because it was so boring (lol) so he ran, and came in 3rd out of all the walkers. Go Noah!










Thanks to my friend T-Smith...she caught the moment we were announced 1st place. How exciting...and thanks Ginger for taking the still pictures. Yes, my friend's know I love to blog.
Yay...Team Mia Minie Moe won for 1st place!





McKinley & Mia...BFF's. These girls have known each other since...they were 2-ish.


The 5K Hopewalk ~






During the Hopewalk...my sister was texting me saying that people were STILL donating to Team Mia Minie Moe. (and after I got home there were still donations coming in!)









My workout for Sunday was...walking a 5K with a 3 year old on my back for half the way. Whew, that was hard. She was so tired, she kept falling asleep.



Cousin Isaac & Mia...yay we finished the walk. Wow was it HOT!



Matt's sister Kirsten and mom Pam were there to show their love and support...



Me, T-Smith, Ginger, & D-Whit...



Mia getting the 1st place prize...$500.00 in gift cards. We are using the gift cards to donate toys and gift cards to the hospital's toy closet where Mia gets to pick something out when she gets her IV's & pokes. AWESOME!




My mom's neighbors Mary Lisa & Tim...who have helped our family in ways that I can't even say. We love you guys...and thank you for being so supportive of us. (And hello, your in-laws and co-workers too ;)





Alyssa's friend Katherine and her family came to walk with us too...




Thanks Roshak's...you guys are awesome, and we love you!




Ashley & Sam...so cute.



An Early Lunch -



Matt's dad Dennis & Pam with Dennis' cousin Sue and her husband Bob from Anthem, and their friends that drove all the way up from Tucson to walk for Dennis. Dennis (was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma earlier this summer) walked 40 feet and couldn't quite make the 5K, so his friends took his place. What great friends!




Matt and his big sis Kirsten. How sweet. Kirsten and Isaac flew in from Seattle just to walk with us in the Hopewalk. Thanks you guys. What a special weekend we had with you. We love you SO much. You made the Hopewalk better for us simply because you were there.




Cousin Isaac...is SO cool.




You have to get a group picture...always.




Family picture time. Needless to say, it was a very busy morning. The girls were exhausted after the walk.






This brings tears to my eyes. We wanted to represent Layla who was a very special Hopekid and hospital friend to Mia that couldn't be at the Hopewalk this year. Mia wanted Layla's name on her hand, and I had it written on my shoulder. Lets not forget those that have gone before us, but know that we will soon see them again someday. We love ALL Hopekids...

If you didn't get a chance to donate to Mia - and you still would like to - instead PLEASE consider a donation to TEAM LAYLA to help find a cure to childhood cancer.

6 comments:

The Guyser Family said...

Congratulations for winning the fundraising, you guys are awesome!!! And so generous to donate all of your gift cards too. :) Looks like you guys had a lot of fun doing the walk, and how nice to have so many friends and family members to support your family. So sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, My name is Jennifer Pruett I am soo Moved and touched by your website...I would love to make something like you about my Irelynn. Irelynn passed away Dec 22 2009 on her 4th birthday after battle cancer for almost 2 years she ended up getting Valley Fever and it took over her. I had to make the choice to send my Irelynn to heaven on a very special day for her. I am thinking about Layla..
Jenn

Anonymous said...

Your post and pics are just so touching, and it doesn't suprise me one little bit all the love and support you get from your family, neighbors and friends, you have ONE SPECIAL FAMILY!!! And have touched so many of us that cross your path!... Although we had a blast spending most of the day with Mia Saturday...oh how I longed to be there Sunday :'O( (getting injured has put a BIG hold on lots'a stuff **sigh**) but I will be back soon FULL FORCE..I know you understand but still..you always have our thoughts and prayers and support coming from our way to yours!! xoxo Love,Remy

The Finder's Keepers said...

Awesome post, Kristi! You are all surrounded by wonderfully loving and generous people!
It's so cool to see the support for Mia and all the HopeKids...including those who have gone before us!

The McPoland Family said...

Thanks for all your sweet comments! Jennifer, I would LOVE to meet you, and help you put together anything to remember precious Irelynn. Thank you for thinking of Mia's friend Layla. Mia really misses her.
Bridget mentioned that you may be at the Hope day this Saturday, we'll try and connect! Blessings to you.

The Wilde Family said...

Great job Mia, the McP family, and all your famiily and friends for doing the walk in that HOT weather. Congrats, on winning $500 for donations, that is so awesome! I love the last pic of the girls, absolutely priceless and thanks for inspiring so many to continue to donate.

BTW, your BC is paying off. Your look good K!!!