Camp Sunshine Week for DBA




Mia and I got the chance to fly to Camp Sunshine at Lake Sebago, Maine for a week.
We went to a Diamond Blackfan Anemia camp/conference for parents...where she got to meet
other kids just like her. Kids that don't make any red blood cells.
We started our trip at the airport at 4:30 am...of course we had to get a Starbucks!




A little Justin Bieber always helps...









We made it to camp just in time for dinner...







Then we were off to look around the camp...and to take a bunch of random photos.






















Our favorite part was definitely the lake...











Mia with her favortie counselor: Rebecca!








Mia drank tons of chocolate milk in these cups...at every meal :)












She really enjoyed the food...and all the special treats they served.

Speaking of serving...we had the BEST driver (Robert) pick us up at the airport.
People actually took a week off from their summer to SERVE us.
There were adults and teens over 16 years old. They absolutley amazed me!







The dance...all the kids dressed up for a fun night of dancing to some awesome tunes!







One of Mia's favorite parts of the trip...dancing with the volunteers :)






Mia & I having fun.








Whew...tired after all the dancing!







Best part - the lake!
















For our family fun time (of just Mia & I) we stayed at the lake for 4 hours.
It was so much fun.






We paddled around a tiny island...




I watched Mia jump in...lots of times!
























On of my favorite parts...Mia met Hayleigh...she's a year older than Mia,
and they played the whole time! Thank you God for this.
I wanted Mia to meet another girl who has DBA just like Mia.






It was fun to watch them play together...




Mia really wanted me to 'get int he lake.' ugh...
Do I have to get my hair wet??
Yes, she said!!
I eventually had to jump in...










The different doors...









Off to the camp sleepover in the huts...
(But she came back to the room after the movie.)







These are the faces of DBA - in one spot.
May God Bless each and everyone...





Mia catching bugs with Kendra...






Kendra gives me Hope...
She is my age with DBA, and if Mia continues to TAKE HER MEDICINE,
without ever skipping once...
I pray that she will live & be happy just like Kendra.
We love you Kendra...thank you for being you!!






The kids made little wish boats...with a candle, and they made a wish and launched
their boats into a pond. It was very cute.
Mia and Hayleigh caught frogs too...lol.














Playing music for the parents...





Saying good-bye to Rebecca...thanks for saying hi to us the first night!
You helped me to feel comfortable at camp right away!
I thank God for your time that you volunteered...



Some AMAZING families...
The Rose's (from Georgia) Irelynn has DBA & The Nape's ( from Arizona) Dylan DBA
I love them all so much. They made the trip great for me since Matt couldn't be there.
I knew the Nape's from Hopekids...
And I am SO thankful to have met the Rose's, thank you Lord!!




The Mond family - first time parents with Gil who has DBA. He's precious!
Let me tell you, if you need the ice broken in a room, they will do it!
They were so great...


I also loved meeting Brandi and Hayleigh...they are so fun!
Every time Mia says...'Hayleigh'...it's with a Georgia accent.
Mia misses 'Hayleigh' and hopes to see her again SOON.




Mia and Irelynn - walking to the lake on our last day.



Just a shout out to GOD for making this trip happen for us.


Thank you Camp Sunshine, so much! We appreciate everything...and for having us for a week!
Meeting other families was the best thing for both Mia and I.
We are not alone in this...

2 comments:

The Finder's Keepers said...

What an awesome experience for both of you - and for the other families at Camp Sunshine!

I love all the pictures and that Mia knows she's not alone.

The Wilde Family said...

What a great experience for the both of you! Mia you are Inspiration. Love you!